Newcomer Assistance Guide | Cindy Elliott | John Green & Company Skip to main content
Cindy Elliott, Sales Associate

Newcomer Assistance Guide

Arranging for Utilities

You can arrange for light, gas and water services by calling Memphis Light, Gas and Water at (901) 820-7878. A deposit is generally required for new service. If you are moving to one of the following municipalities, you will need to call to arrange for water service:

Arranging for Telephone Service

Telephone service can be arranged by calling Bell South at (888) 757-6500. You will need to select a long distance carrier when you order your service.

Entering Children in School

Telephone Shelby County Schools, give them your new address and your child's present grade level, and you will be directed to the school your child will attend. To enter school, your child must be five years old by October 1 of the school year. At enrollment time you will need to present your child's birth certificate and previous school records. Also required are several immunization papers. Contact the following number for complete details:

Registering to Vote

To be eligible to vote you must register at least 30 days prior to the election in which you plan to vote. An ID, such as a valid driver's license bearing your new address, is required. You may register to vote a the Shelby County Election Commission located at 157 Poplar, Room 109, form 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). For more information, call (901) 545-4136.

Driver's License

An out-of-state driver's license is valid for only 30 days in Tennessee. To obtain a new license you must present your out-of state license and your social security card. An eye exam will be given and a fee is charged for the new license. Driver Testing Centers are located at:

*Express Location with Limited Services

For additional information:

Securing Tennessee License Plates

Tennessee license plates should be obtained within seven days after your move. For more information call the Shelby County Clerk's Office at (901) 545-4244. Fees vary depending on your place of residence.

Social Security Cards

The Social Security Administration should be notified if you have a change of address or change in name. For procedure information and locations call:

For additional information:

Reviewing Your Will

Since Tennessee law may differ from that in your former state, you may want to review your will with a local attorney.